Wednesday, July 08, 2009

You Say Tomato, I'll Say Tomaaaaahto

Have I told you how much I LOVE home-grown tomatoes? I think I have. There is no substitution for them. Period. Don't even begin to contest that statement, okay?

I suppose my love for those juicy, red globes of wonder stems (lol, no pun intended) back to my childhood days. Spending quality time with my grandpa working in his garden. He was the best. And tomatoes were his pride and joy. Sure...he had lots of other things in the garden:

  • green peppers
  • cucumbers
  • green beans
  • beets
  • radishes
  • carrots
  • sweet corn
  • potatoes

But...tomatoes was the No. 1 plant in the patch.

I can remember many summer afternoons at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I would walk in the kitchen, open the pantry door, get out the cardboard salt shaker and head outside to the garden. I'd find a medium-sized tomato, wipe it off (using my t-shirt), take a small bite...being careful to leave enough skin on the tomato so the piece stayed attached. Then...I'd sprinkle it with salt and bite it off. O.M.G. That was like heaven.

Earlier this summer I bought a patio tomato plant and it is doing WONDERFULLY. We've had almost ten nice-sized fruits off the vine.

My Tomato Plant - Summer 2009


Ohhhhh, I loves me a good home-grown tomato.

How 'bout you?

1 comment:

battlemaiden said...

Eating warm tomatoes straight from my grandparents garden with a salt shaker in one hand and a tomato in the other is one of my all time favorite childhood memories. Absolutely nothing compares to a homegrown tomato, not even the best chocolate in the world.