Thursday, July 30, 2009

Green Clean

I found a great little book the other day at the library and wanted to share a couple "recipes" with you.


From The Naturally Clean Home - 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning. [ISBN: 978-1-60342-085-3]




[Photo: stock.xchng]


Basic Sink Cleanser
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 3 drops lavender, rosemary, lemon, lime, or orange essential oil*

Combine all ingredients. Rinse sink well with hot water. Put the cleanser in the sink and wipe with a sponge or cloth. Rinse again with hot water.

*If you're looking for essential oils, you can usually find several varieties at health food stores. Or....Google it on your favorite browser and surf, surf, surf. You can also find lots of them on eBay.



Super-Easy Automatic Dishwasher Powder

  • 2 cups washing soda*
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup baking soda

Combine all ingredients and store in a plastic container. To use, add about two (2) tablespoons to the soap compartment of your dishwasher. If you find your glasses are getting a residue buildup, then reduce this amount to 1-1/2 tablespoons.


*Washing soda is NOT the same as baking soda. I had a really hard time finding washing soda at the grocery stores in my hometown. Some wonderful person on a blog or forum (sorry, can't remember) suggested Kroger's. Yep: they had it. Right next to the borax in the laundry detergent aisle.



Last tip of the day: if you're in the market for a book, please check out Better World Books. They are located in my area (Northern Indiana) and have oodles of titles to choose from (new and used). And...shipping is free. Yes: F - R - E - E! And...they use environmentally-friendly packaging materials. And...they support world literacy -- big time. Check them out when you want an alternative to the 'big box web-stores'.

2 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

I love cleaning with essential oils! Lavender is among my favorites, along with tea tree. Wonderful! I buy mine on Ebay.

I wanted to let you know that next week I'll be doing a post featuring all the blogs that traded buttons with me. Is it ok if I use some of your? {All credit back to you, of course.} Just let me know - thanks and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Really nice post! Great ideas. Thanks!