Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Project: Crochet Hook Roll

I was inspired by Toni to create this handy crochet hook organizer. The striped fabric is actually a Crate and Barrel napkin I recently found at the Goodwill Store. I think I got five 20x20 inch napkins and a (matching) drawstring bag for $2.00. I thought they were perfect for this project. Partly because I like stripes and partly because the stripes make great sewing guides to stitch a straight line . (Lazy, I know...but hey it works!)

::Crochet Hook Roll:

Fabric choices are up to you, but here's what I used:

Solid Color Fabric
1 - 20" square
1 - 20" x 4" strip

Patterned Fabric
1 - 20" square

1. With right sides together, sew the two 20" squares together. (I used a 3/8" seam allowance.) Leave a 4-5" opening at bottom.

2. Turn things inside out and press.

3. Machine stitch the opening closed.

4. With the 20" x 4" piece, fold each long edge to the center and press.

5. Fold long edges together again and press. You should end up with a strip that measures 20" long and about 1" wide. Machine stitch as close to the open edge as you can. Tuck in the ends of the strip and machine stitch closed. (This will become the tie to keep your case neatly wrapped up.)

4. Back to the square. With the solid color on top, turn up the bottom edge about 4-1/2 to 5" and press. [See photo.]

5. Fold the 20" strip in half longways and press.

6. Here's the tricky part. Carefully tuck in the folded edge of the strip so it's between the two layers of the square that you just folded up. [See photo.] Sew all the layers together. This becomes the edge of the main "pocket" to hold the crochet hooks.

7. Sew the other edge of the turned up edge. This will complete the main "pocket".

8. Decide how many "little pockets" you want your roll to have. I used the lines on the fabric as a guide and ended up with 20 (I think) pockets to hold the hooks and a pencil.

The finished project all rolled up:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I just love that you made that out of a napkin. How cool! I have been wanted to make a knitting needle holder for myself.
- Stephanie
www.mesocrafty.wordpress.com