Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday Morning

== Need I say more? ==

Last night I undid the 'hat' that I've been crocheting for my youngest son. We were at Hobby Lobby on Saturday and took a stroll through the yarn aisles. Wow...quite a selection! He saw a skein of variegated yarn and said, "Dad, can you make me a hat out of this?". To which I replied, "Well, sure." Uh-oh! And then, not to be out-done, my oldest son quickly chimes in with "I want one too. Let me pick out some yarn." Double uh-oh! What have I gotten myself into?

I've never made anything 'in the round' but didn't think it would be rocket science. I found a couple simple hat patterns on the Web and had printed them out a few weeks ago. Cuz it's getting cold out, and everybody should have a handmade hat, right?

My first attempt at the stocking cap was awful. And no, I didn't take a picture. (I have some pride, you know.) It's been frogged and turned into Mistake No. 2. The first "hat" was way too small. I have no idea what I did, but it ended up looking more like a small Easter basket than a hat. Figuring out that I didn't increase my stitches enough (duh!), I tried again. This time I ended up with what looks like a big, wavy, green flower. Oops...that's not a hat. So...third time will be charm. God help me!

I really think I understand the instructions now. I found a sample video online that made the light bulb come on. So...tonight might be the night. Stay tuned for further developments.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's one of the great things about yarn: it's recyclable. If you mess up, you can frog it and do it again. Can't do that with fabric. Well, you could, it's called quilting.